Blog about fine arts, watercolor painting, drawing, art and design

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Abstract painting - what is it? How to define abstract art?

As an artist who posts art and as a human who looking at art I just want be able to find specific art pieces that suit my needs. In modern world of internet life we have too much information, tones of pictures and art works. It makes the search more difficult, sometimes even unsuccessful at all.

When I post my art works (paintings, drawings, prints or something else) I have to "produce" title, that will represent this art work the best. This title have to be understandable not just for professionals, but mostly for regular people who looking for art works to add some decor for their home or business life. And I've realised that I'm not really understand when the "abstract" definition is "in law"...

And guess, what I've done in order to find the answers?... Right, I've asked "THE MASTER": Google Search. Maybe it was mistake, cause now I have even more questions. However I want to share with you my own view and will happy to hear about your thoughts. 

I have to say, that I'm not self-taught artist - I have a Fine Arts degree and my interest in art history started before University studies. This point just to clear that I have some information about art schools, art history and trends and I'm not talking about the theme without any knowledge in arts. But my primary occupation is "to make art" and not "to define art", this leads the problem I've raised above. 

The formal definition of abstract art is very clear: 

Abstract art can be a painting or sculpture that does not depict a person, place or thing in the natural world.

As an opposite to abstract art we have realism:

Realism (or naturalism) in the arts is the attempt to represent subject matter truthfully, without artificiality and avoiding artistic conventions, implausible, exotic and supernatural elements.

But between pure realism and pure abstract art there are uncounted art works... For me the confuse begins when I do have "person, place or thing in the natural world" at my art work, but they are not defined as a "specific". 

For example I have flower painting:


This flower is not any specific flower kind. But it is a FLOWER - that means you can define it as flower. And I can definitely to say - it is not realistic flower, cause there is no such a flower in botanical world. Realistic flower would be look like:
Red Velvet Rose


 So what kind of painting is? I would say that it IS ABSTRACT painting of flower, for me abstract art is :

"artistic content depends on internal form rather than pictorial representation"

I understand, that this way the "abstract" definition can be used toward too much art pieces. But it also help to separate "pure abstract" art works those are "non-objective" at all from "abstract form" of object presentation. And I think, that this difference is much important as for people who looking for art works that would have atmosphere effect in inner space design, as for artists who create art of this kind.

How do you define when you look at painting is it abstract or not? 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages

Powered by Blogger.

© CanotStopPainting, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena